Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Do you own an original oil painting? If so, who is the artist and what is the subject matter?

It seems like fewer and fewer people are buying or commissioning original oil paintings. How do artistssurvive nowadays? I'm proud ot own an original painting by a local artist and wish I had the money to acquire more.Do you own an original oil painting? If so, who is the artist and what is the subject matter?
I've got about twenty originals by other artists. Half I've bought over the years when I had the money to do so. The other half I've bartered for, trading some of my own paintings for theirs.





My favorite is by an artist from Texas named Hamilton. It's a mixed media portrait of four women from different ethnic and cultural backgrounds waiting on a bench at a bus station.





(I also hang some of my own work on my walls. Every now and then I take some down, change some around and add others. Rotating the paintings adds a freshness to the environment and lets me be able to enjoy each of the works.)Do you own an original oil painting? If so, who is the artist and what is the subject matter?
We have one by Jenny Kilb, who paints a lot of Southwestern landscapes. Very large landscapes...
Anna, people like us (Artists) need people like you (Art Lovers). You are the ones who keep us going.





In my house, it is mostly my paintings on the walls, it is a moveable feast though as I take them down, exhibit, (hopefully) sell and then paint more. I do have some from friends which have a lot of meaning for me.





How do we survive? We just keep on going and when we do sell we celebrate.
i have an original oil from my ex mother-in-law from 21 years ago, when we split up i kept all the artwork. i was pissy, i have an art degree and my ex had the b*lls to say i wasn't very good; i have sold my drawings, and have been published, so when i left i took it all(at least all the artwork). it's a seascape of the oregon coast, and it's beautiful. the artist's name is jeannie holmes.





i also have all my own work up on the walls and am currently restoring a victorian house and painting stained glass on the windows. however i won't give you my name. just call me ';never ready!!!!';
I have an original of my old home town in WV. It was painted by L. Moore. Everyone else in the town has copies, but I ended up with the original. If you're out there ';L. Moore';, I'd like to know who you are....I have a question about the man in the painting.
I have one by Sam Strickland of South Carolina. The painting is of a tobacco barn with a rusty tin roof in the middle of a tobacco field. I bought it because when I was a kid, I used to play next to the tobacco barn on my grandfather's farm.
We have an oil painting that was done by my husbands great aunt. It's a still life of a fruit bowl.
My sister in Houston has a house full of original paintings. Most she painted herself, but a few of them are from friends of hers.





I have lots of photographs. Not just portraits, but artsy stuff. I'm the artist. Wish I could sell some, but I really don't know how.
I had painted for years, but stopped because my house was filled with oil paintings. Finally, I took about 25 of them to my relatives up north and gave them away. I wish I hadn't because I found a woman wanting to buy the paintings I prefer doing, such as pictures of the American Indian and Southwest sceneries.





I prefer painting in oils because of the texture I can work, but it's messy and expensive. My new home isn't built with an art studio as I had in Tucson so I don't paint as much as I'd like to.
I have a lot of original art in my home, though only a small portion of them are oil paintings. One (a still life) was done by my late Father about 40 years ago.





I'm not sure why the general public are under the impression that oil paintings are more valuable than acrylics, watercolours, photography, sculpture, or any other art medium. I'm curious to know why you focussed in on this particular medium.
I had a korean painter working out of the back of a mini van paint me a picture of Anna Kournakova for 60,000 won($55.00) while I was stationed in Korea.
The Abstract Woman by Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment