Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Best artist oil paints in the market ?

I'd like to start painting with oils, I've never purchased them in US (I live here now) and would like some suggestions about brands, I've been doing acrylics and havent really found any good ones either any suggestions on this too?(for murals, walls they are ok but for canvas yuk)I dont want to waste money trying different brands,thanks.Best artist oil paints in the market ?
I've been painting only since last summer and I haven't tried many brands, however, I can say that I use Utrecht oils and mediums and am very happy with the results. My art teacher says that they are a very good quality for the money. I especially like that I can buy them online. Go to http://www.utrechtart.com/.Best artist oil paints in the market ?
Thank you all for your answers Report Abuse

If you are used to a crylics you need to try golden acrylics they are the most versitle acrylics out there the have the look and feeel of oil if you want them to. they are a bit more expensive than the other brands but they are the best and you dont have the wait time and clean up and environmental hassle of oils


you can see some examples of the versitility on my site


www.chylegrusgallery.com
I have been painting with oil for many years and I like the georgian brand. I paint a lot put my paint on thick and I do large canvases. Georgian paints are soft and come in large tubes that cost about $10. There is not as many colors as in other paints but I mix most of mine from the primaries anyway. Check out my work at http://www.piotrwolodkowicz.com if you like it and you like the effects of georgian paints.
like Gamblin oils,they retain the unique characteristics of the pigments,including tinting strength,undertone and texture.they are expensive,but work for me.If you don't like the smell of thinners or mediums,a good choice is Grumbacher Max artist oils.They thin and clean up with water,the same way has acrylic paints do.My students use Liquitex acrylics because they come in soft,heavy and super heavy body.I live in ONT. CAN. and all are painting material comes from (dickblick.com) in the state of Illinois for years now. I wish you well in your quest. P.S. A $20.00 tube,or a $8.00 tube doesn't make a painter,its you.
Ive been using the winston %26amp; newton brand and the georgain brand They both run about $10 ($10.69 for the W%26amp;N $10.49 for the Georgain) for the big tubes (200ml or 225ml) at A. C. Moores. my professor said that the one he prefered as the best i cannot remember the name of it but its like 13 to 15 dollars for a tube that is 1/3 the size of the large one. but im sticking with the two kinds and i am quite happy with them.
windsor newton is a great brand. I have been painting for years and find they are consistent and have a great deal of pigment. they make both oil and acrylics. If you get into oils make sure you get your linseed oil and turpintine as well. you will also need different brushes for oils vs acry.

No comments:

Post a Comment